[gdal-dev] Open source API to convert raster to polygons?

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Thu Jan 10 05:38:07 EST 2008

Joaquim Luis kirjoitti:
> Ari Jolma wrote:
>>
>> I've written a raster to polygon converter, which produces closed
>> polygons from raster images.
>
> Hi,
> I am sorry but I have some difficulties in understanding this discussion.
> What is a raster to polygon conversion?
> I know, and have played with, vectorizing edge detected images, shape
> detection of simple forms like ellipses, lines, ridge crests on DTMs
> etc...
> but for each of these goals the tools/algorithms used are different.
> What I do not understand is what is a generic "raster to polygon
> conversion".

The raster to vector converter I've written is a tool that is based on
an algorithm that you would apply after some kind of edge detection,
posterize, classification, etc. tool. The algorithm works on integer
pixel values and two pixels belong to an area if they have the same
integer value. In my case I needed it for some work with classified land
cover images, which have by nature only few pixel values.

The contour line algorithm in GDAL is different in the sense that it
works on DEMs and it does not assume integer values and draws the lines
through locations it finds using linear interpolation.

Cheers,

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma