[gdal-dev] OGR style fields

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:55:01 EST 2008

2008/1/19, Stefan Keller <sfkeller at gmail.com>:
> About two weeks ago I proposed in the FWTools list to enable users of
> OGR/GDAL tools like ogr2ogr to set the style parameters from the command
> line or using .VRT. This would be a valuable extension for writing KML
> files.

Stefan,

How do you think this kind of configuration should look like. How
should we change the style per feature at the ogr2ogr command line?
Would it be sufficient for example to set this style for each feature
equally by using a field alias or something like:

ogr2ogr -f KML -sql "select *, [stylestring] as OGR_STYLE from
mylayer" mylayer.kml mylayer.shp

I'm also uncertain about the usability of producing a full fledged
ready to use KML output by the driver this way and setting up the
style representation in a specific way inside. This driver should
instead become template based or something that more customizable.

Best regards,

Tamas