[gdal-dev] RFC 21: OGR SQL type cast and field name alias

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jan 25 14:56:08 EST 2008

> Le Thursday 24 January 2008 23:33:48 Tamas Szekeres, vous avez écrit :
>> Folks,
>>
>> I've put together an RFC to provide support for specifying field name
>> alias and the type in the OGR SQL select list. The RFC can be found
>> here:
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc21_ogrsqlcast
>>
>> The corresponding tracking bug that contains the proposed patch:
>>
>> http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2171
>>
>> Any comments and ideas about the proposal would be helpful.

Tamas,

What other types are supportted when casting fields via your new mechanism?
I'd like to see the RFC explain how each of the OGR field types would
be represented in these cast directives.

Like Even, I'm not positive this will always be the best way of dealing
with long style strings when writing to shapefiles.  But I think it is
a very useful advance for this and other reasons.  Heck - the ability to
use AS to rename fields is very valuable all on it's own.

BTW, I didn't notice any test scripts in the proposed patch.  That would
also be needed though I'd be willing to write the tests for the new feature
if you like.