[gdal-dev] Map Caching with GDAL

marcello ferrero marcello_ferrero at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 17:03:51 EST 2008

Hi,
in order to implement a map caching mechanism for my application
I need to read tiles from a server (for example OpenStreetMap) and keep
them in memory to speed up subsequent access to the same tiles once
they have been already downloaded from the map server.
To implement
this, I'm going to manage a single indexed (x,y,z) data file where I keep the dump of each .png (or .jpg) file.
Therefore I need
to access the .png (or .jpg) tile not from a file (in that case I would
simply use GDALOpen to open it), but from a memory buffer.

What are the GDAL functions to do what I need?
Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Marcello Ferrero
Bluemapia