[gdal-dev] SpatiaLite

Luke Roth roth.luke at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:31:12 EDT 2008

I've just noticed that SpatiaLite 2.0 has been released.  For those
not familiar with SpatiaLite, it's a pretty full-featured spatial
extension to SQLite (now supporting spatial indexing via R-trees, as
well as OpenGIS functions & spatial metadata).  I know there's some
support for SQLite in OGR, but the last time I checked it was
incomplete; would it be worth looking into integrating this package
into OGR instead of replicating it?  I don't know enough about the OGR
internals to know how difficult this would be.  One possible roadblock
would be the LGPL license, although if OGR simply links to the
SpatiaLite DLL I imagine this would be OK.

Luke