[gdal-dev] Creating a Shape File(s)

Courtney Schitka c.schitka at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 15:17:46 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Today I have an interesting problem. I know the 4 corners of a bounding box
for a geographical area. I wish to create a shape file knowing only these 4
co-ordinates. I was thinking that the best way to do something like this,
would be to put them into a CSV file, following the directions specified
here: http://www.gdal.org/ogr/drv_csv.html .Then taking that CSV  file and
relying on the  VRT driver to read it and using ogr2ogr to create a shape
file from my CSV file. What I am curious about. Is this: When I create the
associated VRT file to accompany my CSV so the vrt driver can read it.
Obviously the GeometryType is wkbPolygon and the LayerSRS is assumed to be
WGS84.

But what does the GeometryField encoding look like ? The example from the
url above only specifies pts. And I couldn't find one for polygons. Could
someone please shed some light on this. OR if you have a different/better
way to approach this without the aid of an ESRI product.

  <GeometryType>wkbPoint</GeometryType>
      <LayerSRS>WGS84</LayerSRS>
   <GeometryField encoding="PointFromColumns" x="Longitude" y="Latitude"/>

Thanks for your help.

Courtney