[gdal-dev] ogrinfo returns Polygon geometry as unknown (any) with TAB file

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 20 02:54:23 EDT 2008

SAEZ Laurent - CETE Méditerr./DI/ETER wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've a big problem with ogrinfo.
> I've tried with several versions of FWTools (1.3.9 to 2.2.1).
> I've a web application that uses ogrinfo to validate MapInfo® files.
> Ogrinfo doesn't return the right geometry with TAB file that contains
> polygons. Ogrinfo reports "Geometry: Unknown (any)".
> Why ?
> I've create a simple table (3polygons.TAB) with three polygons (not
> multi-polygons and without holes).

Laurent,

I believe the mapinfo driver deliberately reports an unknown geometry
type for polygon files because it is unable to tell from the header
whether the file will contain a mix of polygon and multipolygons.
If it does then it is not proper to label the layer as either
polygon or multipolygon since they are mutually exclusive geometry
classes in the OGC simple features geometry model.

So, I think things are working as expected.