[gdal-dev] Ubuntu, gdal & ecw's >2gb on IA32

Marius Jigmond mariusjigmond at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 21 18:13:40 EDT 2008

Tim Bowden wrote:

  On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 09:09 -0600, Richard Greenwood wrote:

    On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 9:00 AM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at westnet.com.au> wrote:

      *me scratches head* and not for the first time.  I wasn't expecting that
to make a difference.  No idea what to make of it.  Just to make sure
I've got it right, the samba share was being served from a mac was it?
And you were running gdalinfo from ubuntu 8.04?  or the other way
around?

    I'm running 32 bit Ubuntu Hardy 8.04. I had a Windows XP NTFS drive
mounted via Samba and gdalinfo was fine. Copied the same file to the
local ext3 partition and got the error. I'll be trying the same file
on a Slackware server in the next couple days.

Ah, perhaps it's worth trying on a non ext3 filesystem.  Not sure how it
would make a difference, but I've got no other ideas.

    Obviously a work around is to split the ecw file into tiles.

  Ugly solution for me.  I've got (client rather) abt 350gb+ of ecw's
mostly over 2gb each being served up by mapserver that will be updated
every three months .  Hate to have to automate that in a failsafe way.

Tim

    Rich

This might be related to a similar issue I had reading tiff's larger
than 2GB also on Ubuntu 8.04. I have the exact same error, while it
works on Ubuntu 7.10. I never got to the bottom of it, but I suspect
something is broken in Ubuntu 8.04.

Marius