[Gdal-dev] Building superoverlay from remote WMS host

doug_nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Wed Jun 25 12:00:08 EDT 2008

In support of WMS operated in slower parts of the Internet, and in the
interest of providing a view of the maps in a cached "superoverlay" for
Google Earth and other savvy KML clients, has anyone developed a script that
could be aimed at a remote WMS host and patiently extract a multi-layered
tile scheme and save the tiled data and KML to the invoking host?

I see that GDAL has some support for extracting/reading from WMS:
  http://www.gdal.org/frmt_wms.html

and a python utility for writing to kml with what I believe are super
overlays:
  http://www.gdal.org/gdal2tiles.html

But has anyone considered putting these together with a configuration file
to build such a solution? Anyone interested in sharing a prototype?

Doug.