[gdal-dev] KMZ Support in OGR?

Simon Perkins sy at perkins.net
Sat Mar 29 09:43:15 EDT 2008

Brian Hamlin wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2008, at 10:06 AM, Simon Perkins wrote:
>
>>  Thanks - that would seem like a good way to go in the future, though
>> I don't have time to work on it myself...
>
> that may be a common story !
>
> the relatively light weight discussion of this that I have heard so
> far basically comes to a conclusion that since OGR writes out a pretty
> simple KML, its not worth doing the work of bringing in the new libkml
> to do that.
>
> Its worth noting that the Simple Features Library (that OGR is based
> on) only goes so far in mapping to KML.
>
> as for kmz, thats trivial.. just pipe the output to a zip program, y?

Well, it would be nice to have something that was integrated into OGR,
without having to mess around with external programs.

I think rewriting the KML driver to use the google library would be a
great idea. The current KML driver has a number of limitations - for
instance, it doesn't support reading of multi-geometries (though I think
it will write them).

Cheers,

Sy