[gdal-dev] RFC 22: RPC Georeferencing

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Mar 30 12:08:47 EDT 2008

Folks,

It is proposed that GDAL support an additional mechanism for geolocation of
imagery based on rational polynomial coefficients (RPCs) represented as metadata.

Many modern raw satellite products are distributed with RPCs, including
products from GeoEye, and DigitalGlobe. RPCs provide a higher systematic
description of georeferencing over an image, and also contain information on
the viewing geometry that in theory makes orthocorrection (given a DEM) and
some 3D operations like building height computation possible.

To some extent RPCs were already supported in GDAL but the support was
incomplete and not well documented.  This RFC revises the approach somewhat
and is intended to make this a "fully supported" geolocation method in GDAL.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc22_rpc

Pretty much everything is already implemented and committed, but I'm willing
to make changes as needed.  One aspect that I consider very unsettled (and
which I have not yet committed) is the SWIG bindings for the GDAL transformer
API.  I'd especially appreciate if the SWIG gods could review and propose a
better binding approach.  The current bindings result in code like this:

     ds = gdal.Open('data/gcps.vrt')
     tr = gdal.Transformer( ds, None, [ 'METHOD=GCP_POLYNOMIAL' ] )

     (success,pnt) = tr.TransformPoint( 0, 20, 10, 0 )

With "pnt" being a 3-tuple.  I don't even see how the TransformPoints
function in the proposal (transform an array of points in place) will
map in Python.

This email is a call for feedback, but I'm hoping to put forward a motion
to adopt on Monday sometime, so prompt feedback for revisions is
encouraged!