[gdal-dev] OGR merge polygon capabilities

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu May 8 02:36:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 10:04:55PM -0400, Clay, Bruce wrote:
> Are there any capabilities built into OGR to walk layer and find all
> overlapping polygons and merge them into multiple larger polygons?

I think that the "Dissolve" action from WPServer does this, using OGR:

http://code.google.com/p/webprocessingserver/source/browse/trunk/webprocessingserver/WebProcessingServer/Action/OGRGeos.py#sr_62_67

Essentially:
 * Add all your geometries to a geometry collection
 * Buffer the geometry collection (using GEOS Buffer op)
 * Loop through the resulting geometry (if it's a collectino or
   multipoly) and split the geoms back up.

-- Chris

> Bruce
>

> This message and any enclosures are intended only for the addressee.  Please
> notify the sender by email if you are not the intended recipient.  If you are
> not the intended recipient, you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this
> message or its contents or enclosures to any other person and any such actions
> may be unlawful.  Ball reserves the right to monitor and review all messages
> and enclosures sent to or from this email address.

Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta