[gdal-dev] Mapserver & GDAL in various Linux repositories

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 14 13:53:40 EDT 2008

I'm trying to get a handle on installing Mapserver on different Linux
systems, so I can make recommendations to clients for setting up
systems with Mapserver.

For standard repositories for different Linux distributions, I see
quite a variety of names and versions:

Ubuntu: I have 8.04 on my MacBook, so I could check this directly - I
find MapServer 5.0.0 and GDAL 1.4.4.  A web package list gives me MS
4.10 and GDAL 1.4.1 for 7.10.

Debian: the web package listing shows MS 4.10/GDAL 1.5.0 for etch, and
MS 5.0.2/GDAL 1.5.1 for the upcoming lenny.

Redhat: I couldn't find a web interface to search for packages, but
did find a reference to Redhat 5 which has MS 4.10 and GDAL 1.4.2.

The Mapserver download page has links to old Mapping Hacks RPMs, and a
really old FGS bundle.

There's the FWTools, which is supposed to have the latest dev versions
of MS and GDAL for almost any 32bit Linux, but I'm not sure I want to
put dev versions into a production environment.

Any other ideas? - custom repositories with more up to date, or
consistent across Linux systems, version?  Building from source would
only be an option for the more savvy clients.  Maybe something similar
to FWTools but with stable versions only?

I definitely want at least MapServer 5 (though I could live with 4.10
in a pinch).  GDAL version is more flexible, though it would be good
to have the newer Python bindings in 1.5.  Other support dependencies
are less of a concern (except maybe PROJ).

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"Time is an illusion - lunchtime doubly so."

- Ford Prefect