[gdal-dev] Cannot build Java bindings in Linux (1.4.2, 1.4.4, 1.5.1)

Balint Cristian rezso at rdsor.ro
Tue May 27 10:38:43 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 27 May 2008 05:06:41 pm Michael Wooten wrote:
> I receive the following error when trying to build the GDAL Java bindings

Michael,

I can suggest you look at this src.rpm:

http://koji.fedoraproject.org/packages/gdal/1.5.1/10.fc9/src/gdal-1.5.1-10.fc9.src.rpm

  Latest one submitted by me today, you can adapt for RHEL too,
just read carefully the .spec file, I think it cover all gdal building
related issues. Pakage contain a %check section too, and gdal
related test are runned at building time, for statistics.
 Olso you can find very good packs for other underlaying libs too,
on koji build farm or on fedora mirror sites over release branches.

   It has enabled all bindings including java (php has licensing problem),
however .spec is bit scarry but must undestand  that is multilib package,
and RHEL/Fedora standards are pretty high from packaging point of view,
must complain to all kind of rules. I consider it best pack ever for RH
products, and i am not aware of what other distros are doing.

  I use very intensively C,perl,python bindings and works smooth,
cannot complain till now.

> in Linux (Redhat Enterprise 6):
Hmm RHEL6 ?! Isnt it a 5.x series ?

   However I work right now for update gdal for RHEL4.x/5.x, too, in
RedHat's EPEL project (the official extension repo for RHEL products),
but i need to figure out first gdal-compat-1.4.x and than gdal-1.5.0,
olso, dependig libs require compat too. Unfortunatley RHEL unlike
Fedora policy is extremely restictive breaking API/ABI, so  basicaly I
need now to carry out compat libraries too to satisfy all users,
all who already use 1.4.x and who wants 1.5.x, and made tham even
aviable as simultaneous instalation, and on top of over booth 32
64 variants must lay on same instaled system at a time (multilib)
and _must_ work :) Its a compicated schema in the case of gdal on
RHEL, on Fedora is easyer.

  I will post RHEL variants in mather of day when it will be done, and
satisfyed all compat rules, but basicaly for RHEL the repo wiki and
howto (here will be aviable):

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL
(ATM only 1.4.x series are included)

  I am sorry for the lengthy mail, saw several mails regarding RHEL
builds, and took oportunity to inform folks that packages are aviable,
and invite interested ones to help me out colaborate over RH product
pack via RH bugzilla with good/bad feedbacks and come with requests
over what package should provide for more.
 Olso in the case of colaboration I can grant each other CVS
access over RH and maintain with the whom is interested in
high quality packaging, the more we are the better it will be.

Thank you,
Cristian.