[gdal-dev] GDAL 1.5.2 RC3 and HDF

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri May 30 13:30:43 EDT 2008

Hi

There is already a GDAL ticket for this issue :
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/2297

I have HDF5 1.6.5 installed, which is the packaged version on my Ubuntu
distro, and current GDAL code compiles fine with it. Apparently there has
been an API/ABI change between this version and HDF5 1.8.... I'm not sure how
we can fix that properly if we want to support various HDF5 versions... By a
very quick read in the second URL you provide, there's a way of compiling
HDF5 library in 1.6 emulation.

"When both the HDF5 Library and the application are built and installed with
no specific compatibility flags, H5Gopen is mapped to the most recent version
of the function, currently H5Gopen2. If the library and/or application is
compiled for Release 1.6 emulation, H5Gopen will be mapped to H5Gopen1.
Function-specific flags are available to override these settings on a
function-by-function basis when the application is compiled."

I don't think this kind of issue can be easily addressed by a maintenance
release. It seems more appropriate to make HDF5 1.8 compability be a goal of
the next major GDAL version (I mean GDAL 1.6.0). For the moment, I would say
the workaround if either to downgrade to HDF5 1.6.X or to compile HDF5 1.8 in
HDF5 1.6 compability mode. But I speak on my own behalf, so others can have
different views on that point of course...

Best regards,

Even