[gdal-dev] Using RGDAL to "copy" header information...

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 5 12:18:47 EST 2008

R-geographers...

I'm trying to solve a problem to implement a line-by-line tiled
processing using RGDAL (read 1 line of an image, process the one line,
write one line of the image to a binary file).  Everything except for
the final step I'm able to do using a combination of RGDAL and r-base
commands.  Below is the basic structure, the input file "elev" can be
any image file GDAL supports -- the code below just "copies" the image
one line at a time:

###

library(rgdal)
infile='elev'
outfile_base='testout'
outfile_ext='.bil'
outfile=paste(outfile_base,outfile_ext,sep='')
outcon <- file(outfile, "wb")

infile_info=GDALinfo(infile)
nl=infile_info[[1]]
ns=infile_info[[2]]

for (row in 1:nl) {
    templine <- readGDAL(infile,region.dim=c(1,ns),offset=c(row-1,0))
    writeBin(templine[[1]], outcon,size=4)
}
close(outcon)
# Below doesn't work
# writeGDAL(templine,outfile_base,drivername='EHdr',type="Float32")

###

The issue is this: I need to be able to effectively copy the
geographic/header information from the input file (the last line almost
works, but as you can see it sets the line #s to 1, not "ns"), and parse
it over to the output file (which is some form of a flat binary file --
in this case, an Arc Binary Raster, but an ENVI binary output would also
be good) -- ideally I'd like to be able to modify this header,
particularly the number type (e.g. if the input file is an integer, and
I'm writing out a floating point binary, I need that reflected in the
output header).  I can do this by *manually* creating the output header
via a series of ascii-writes, but I was wondering if there is a more
effective way of doing this using RGDAL that might apply generically to
the header of any binary image file I might write?  Thanks!

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar