[gdal-dev] raw x-y-z height map.

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Nov 13 14:02:21 EST 2008

Eran Burstain wrote:
> Hi.
> I want to convert a height map (DTED or other format) to simple ASCII
> file with X,Y,Z coordinates, supplemental data (datums) should be in
> separate file (.vrt), Is there support in such a format ?

Eran,

No, there is currently no direct support for such a format in GDAL.

The gdal/swig/python/scripts/gdal2xyz.py script will produce such a file
but it is not then readable with GDAL, nor can it be referenced from a .vrt
file.

I do frequently use the AAIGRID driver to produce easy to read ascii files,
but it does not produce x/y values for each pixel.