[gdal-dev] Re: Gdal Bug? was: Re: JP2MRSID Issues

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Nov 14 11:55:41 EST 2008

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri <at> swoodbridge.com> writes:
>

>>> PPS.  I don't understand your point where you seem to suggest that
>>> converting
>>> to tiff first is slower than other mechanisms.  Are you suggesting it takes
>>> 2-3 hours to convert a 500MB jpeg2000 image to GeoTIFF?  Perhaps you need
>>> to up your GDAL block cache size?
>> Yes, this is exactly my problem it is taking 2-3 hours to run:
>>
>> GDAL_SKIP=JPEG2000 gdal_translate my.jp2 -b 1 -b 2 -b 3 my.tif
>>

> Hi,
>
> There is absolutely something basically wrong.  For that little files conversion
> to GeoTIFF should take perhaps 5 minutes.  Try skipping more drivers and see how
> Kakadu driver performs.  If you want to know how fast it can be, download Kakadu
> win32 executables from www.kakadusoftware.com and measure how long it takes to
> expand your images to GeoTIFFs with kdu_expand.

Hi Jukka,

Thank you for that pointer. I grabbed the linux version and kdu_expand
is really fast!!! 2 mins if the source file is not cached and 55 sec if
it is cached by the file system. But is only is expanding the first
band, do you know how I can get it to expand bands 1,2,3 into the tiff
as r,g,b? If I can do that then I could just use that as an interim step
to expand the jp2 into a tif and then do the gdalwarp based on that.

-Steve