[gdal-dev] gdal program core dump

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Wed Nov 19 17:23:38 EST 2008

Mixing different versions of libstdc++ when linking libgdal.so is definitely
not a good idea and would likely cause runtime crashes. You should do a "ldd
libgdal.so" to check that it doesn't occur (it could occur for example if the
GDAL build itself is against one libstdc++ version, and some library that
GDAL is linking with itself is linked against another libstdc++ version).

It appears more like a bad configuration issue of your OS than a problem with
GDAL itself.
Other thing to check : are you sure you aren't mixing GDAL binaries and
libraries of different versions ?

To answer your last question, Fedora 9 should be no problem. GDAL 1.5.3 is
even packaged in the distribution itself. See
http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/DownloadingGdalBinaries