[gdal-dev] jpip and gdal

Norman Barker nbarker at ittvis.com
Thu Oct 2 13:05:11 EDT 2008

Hi,

I have been assigned (as in got some business work time) to do the
implementation for jpip and gdal as per RFC 24, and then to reshape RFC
24 with the implementation as a guide.  Apologies for the delay in doing
this.

Whilst with the approach I am proposing of separating the jpip
communication layer from the decompression so that we can do true
http(s) (as opposed to the hand spun version of http in kakadu), we
could probably use any jpeg2000 decompression library, but kakadu would
be the fastest - and the easiest to do first.

As such, I am struggling a bit with the kakadu license, particularly
when it comes to plugging into a developer library.  I have asked on the
kakadu mailing lists but no reply, Frank (and others) can you clarify
your stance with kakadu in the JP2KAK plugin?  I think my primary
concern is that with jpip the sequence of operations for adding to the
kdu_cache object is pretty fixed when reading the jpip stream, hence is
any plugin to gdal a derivative work?

Thanks,

Norman