[gdal-dev] OziExplorer (ozf2) Files with GDAL?

Tom Kazimiers 2voodoo at gmx.de
Thu Oct 2 17:23:39 EDT 2008

Jean-Claude REPETTO schrieb:
> Tom Kazimiers a écrit :
>> Hello,
>>
>> one of my clients asked me if it would be possible to open OziExplorer
>> Files (ozf2 ending)? As I found out GDAL does not support this file
>> format yet. Did anyone build a own driver for this?
>>
>> If not, I would try to build one. Is there the need (or the possibility)
>> to contribute it or is this not of interest?
>>

> Hello,
>
> There is a program called ozf2img that can convert ozf2 and ozf3
> files. Unfortunately, it is not open source and works only for
> Windows. So I think a GDAL driver should be useful. But the ozf2 and
> ozf3 formats are not documented, so it may not be easy.
>
> Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude,

thanks for the hint with "ozf2img" - I will take a look at it.
>From what I heard the file is something like a lightweight tiff, will
say it is organized in tiles (each 64x64 pixels). Each pixel has the
size of one byte and stores an index of a color palette. This is at
least the basis - then there come some overviews more into play which I
do not as much up to now - but I want to dig my way into it.

Tom