[gdal-dev] Ingres driver for gdal

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Oct 6 20:39:03 EDT 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Denise MacLeod
<Denise.MacLeod at ingres.com> wrote:
>    ogr2ogr -overwrite -append -skipfailures -f ingres INGRES:mydbname
> road.shp
>
> Now however, the syntax is (as documented on the GDAL website):
>
>    ogr2ogr -overwrite -append -skipfailues -f Ingres
> "@driver=ingres,dbname=mydbname,user=mydbuser,password=mypwd" road.shp
>
> I was wondering if there's a reason to have the syntax so different from
> some of the other formats, such as Postgres?  (with the @ sign at the
> beginning).

Denise,

The ingres driver is my first attempt at a new "unified" syntax
for complex OGR driver datasource names.   This unified
syntax for passing many arguments was my intended response
to:

  http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/rfc10_ogropen

without having to change the normal API.

Sorry for breaking the old name style, but I assumed the
driver was new enough that I could take the chance to change
things without it having much impact.  Normally I'm quite
conservative about such things.