[gdal-dev] GDAL block cache question

Luke Roth roth.luke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 14:02:23 EDT 2008

Hi everybody,

I've been working on writing an image viewer using GDAL, and I'd like
to take advantage of the block cache to avoid keeping multiple copies
of things in memory where I can.  I'm currently using the
GetLockedBlockRef() function, which works well, but can sometimes lead
to large delays when scrolling around and reading in new data.  Is
there any easy way to check to see if a particular block is present in
the cache before trying to read it?  I've found the
TryGetLockedBlockRef() function, which I could use to read the data
from the cache, note which blocks are not valid, and go back and read
those blocks in idle time or in a separate thread, but it's protected
and I don't really want to mess with the GDAL class hierarchy if I
don't have to.  Is there a straightforward way to do this?

Thanks,

Luke