[gdal-dev] getRasterTable and back again to matrix

Michael ODonnell odonnems at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 10 10:14:39 EDT 2008

I am using the getRasterTable to extract blocks of cell values from a raster dataset. After using this table to run statistical analysis, I would like to convert it back to a raster data set. To do this I am converting the table (predicted values) back to a matrix and then using putRasterData to insert the predicted values into a new raster data set. My question is what method should I be using to convert the table back to a raster data set. There does not seem to be a command (i.e., putRasterTable) to do this so I need to determine how the getRasterTable works. Does it start in the upper left cell, work across (right), then down and right like reading a book? If I know how this works then I can convert the predictions to a matrix using the same process. In other words I need to make sure I am writing the predictions in the same location as the cell values used to make the predictions.

FYI: I am using the gdal library in R statistics package (rgdal).

thank you for the suggestions/help,
Mike