Re: [gdal-dev] GDAL block cache question

Lucena, Ivan ivan.lucena at pmldnet.com
Fri Oct 10 12:24:10 EDT 2008

Chris,

>  I doubt it -- at least not with raster data. A while back wx's vector
>  drawing was pretty limited (no alpha support), but it now has a better
>  drawing API, or you can use it with Agg or Cairo, or?? There may well be
>  other reasons to choose QT, but I doubt they are specific to Geospatial
>  applications.

But regardless of the limitation of the core wxWidget componets, we can always go beyond that by using OpenGL. Isn't it right?

>  As a matter of fact, as much as I like QGIS, I think it would work
>  better if it were written in wx, at least on teh MAc -- for example, teh
>  file open dialog sucks -- with wx, it would use the native one, which
>  would be much better.

Yes, the Motif style open-file-dialog is always hard to swallow on Win or Mac.

>  > Some time I wish that OpenEv could use wxPython instead of python+TK.
>  It doesn't use Tk, it uses GTK, but your point is the same.

But it uses some other extra OpenGL extension for map display. Or it is part of GTK

Yes, and the open-file again is the same. But at least it doesn't use the TK detachable menus that looks like a toilet
paper. I think that is a mention of that on "The Humane Interface" [Raskin]. It is just insane.

>  -Chris

Thanks Chris, that discussion and your suggestions are very helpful.

Ivan