[gdal-dev] gdal and python problems

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Oct 15 03:28:41 EDT 2008

Thank you very much - problem solved. There was an indeed an old version
of libgdal around (gdal1.5.2 - also self-compiled under /usr/local/lib)

The strange thing is that the svn trunk version reports as older
(libgdal.so.1.12.0) even if it is newer than gdal1.5.2, which reports as
libgdal.so.1.12.2

Thanks again for the hint,
Andreas

> Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was compiling gdal with python support from svn-trunk and ran into the
>> same problem as described at
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/Problem-with-gdal_polygonize.py-td19839558.html
>>
>> When I start a python script I get the following error message:
>>
>> ------------------
>> gdal_merge.py -o orthofoto_2008.tif -init 255,255,255 -v -co
>> "COMPRESS=PACKBITS" -of GTiff OF_10cm/69*.tif
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/usr/local/bin/gdal_merge.py", line 31, in <module>
>>     import gdal
>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gdal.py", line 2, in
>> <module>
>>     from osgeo.gdal import deprecation_warn
>>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/osgeo/gdal.py", line 7,
>> in
>> <module>
>>     import _gdal
>> ImportError: /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/osgeo/_gdal.so:
>> undefined symbol: GDALPolygonize
>> ------------------
>>
>> My system is Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex). I used the following configure
>
> Andreas,
>
> My guess would be that the GDAL Python bindings are ending up running
> against an older libgdal.so.  Is it possible that you have a
> /usr/lib/libgdal.so that is 1.5.x and getting picked up instead of
> /usr/local/lib/libgdal.so?
>
> Best regards,
> --
> warmerdam at pobox.com

Andreas Neumann
Böschacherstrasse 6, CH-8624 Grüt/Gossau, Switzerland
Email: a.neumann at carto.net, Web:
* http://www.carto.net/ (Carto and SVG resources)
* http://www.carto.net/neumann/ (personal page)
* http://www.svgopen.org/ (SVG Open Conference)