[gdal-dev] Supporting ECW as GDAL plugin.

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Thu Oct 16 06:48:24 EDT 2008

Hi Daniele,

You need to install the ecw libraries. For Unix/Linux/MacOSX you need to
compile from source. You can get the libraries from
http://www.ermapper.com/ProductView.aspx?t=131 - after installing the
libraries you need to tell gdal where to find them and re-compile gdal.

I don't know what the exact licence terms are. It is a commercial product
and in the past there was a limitation that files with the public version
could not grow past 500MB in size, which is pretty severe limitation.

The binary versions fwtools (http://fwtools.maptools.org/) should contain
ecw support, but I don't know if the limitation exists or not.

Because of this limitation I am currently not using ecw.

Maybe there was a change in the licence terms, however. I am not totally
up to date.

See also http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html