[gdal-dev] Supporting ECW as GDAL plugin.

Andrea Aime aaime at opengeo.org
Thu Oct 16 13:34:51 EDT 2008

Daniele Romagnoli ha scritto:
> Hi list,
> I would like to get some information about how to support ECW as a
> GDAL's plugin.
> Andrea Aime, back from the FOSS4G, have proposed to improve the support
> to ECW format offered by our ImageIO-Ext project,
> by leveraging on GDAL plugin mechanism.
> Which steps are involved to support ECW Driver as a plugin? (on both
> Windows/Linux).
> Should I also tweak the java bindings generation step to handle this?
>
> Any information/suggestion/link would be greatly appreciated. (I have
> already taken a look at ticket 2385)

I have vague memories of a flag in the makefile that allowed
the ecw support to be built separately. The drill was something like
1) build gdal without ecw support (so that it's not statically linked)
2) go into the ecw format directory and build there independently,
    after tweaking the makefile or somethign like that
3) place the resulting library in a special directory

Cheers
Andrea