[gdal-dev] he5 is not a supported format?

Becker, Thomas thob at dmu.dk
Tue Oct 21 03:24:36 EDT 2008

-----Original Message-----
From: Frank Warmerdam [mailto:warmerdam at pobox.com]
Sent: Monday, October 20, 2008 6:10 PM
To: Becker, Thomas
Cc: 'gdal-dev at lists.osgeo.org'
Subject: Re: [gdal-dev] he5 is not a supported format?

Becker, Thomas wrote:
> Hi listers,
>
> I have a problem reading he5 files with gdal. After installing FWTools 2.0.6
> on a Suse 9 machine (compiled the sources) it seems like I do not have
> support of HDF5 files. The files I have are from the OMI tropospheric NO2
> data archive (http://www.temis.nl/airpollution/no2col/omi_data_col3.php?)
> and when I try to read them with gdalinfo I am getting the following
> failure:
>
> ERROR 4: `gdalinfo failed - unable to open
> 'OMI-Aura_L2-OMDOMINO_2008m1007t2337-o22510_v883-2008m1008t031738.he5 not
> recognised as a supported file format.
>
> gdalinfo failed - unable to open
> 'OMI-Aura_L2-OMDOMINO_2008m1007t2337-o22510_v883-2008m1008t031738.he5'.
>

> I am using gdalinfo version GDAL 1.6.0dev, FWTools 2.0.6, released
> 2008/02/03.

Thomas,

I can confirm that FWTools for windows 2.2.6 (the current release)
includes HDF5 support.  You might want to confirm whether your FWTools
release includes HDF5 by issuing the command:

gdalinfo --format hdf5

If you get something like:

Format Details:
   Short Name: HDF5
   Long Name: Hierarchical Data Format Release 5
   Extension: hdf5
   Help Topic: frmt_hdf5.html

then you have the driver.

The file(s) you reference seem pretty big so I have avoided downloading
and testing myself. But if you have the HDF5 driver and cannot open your
files it is likely they are an HDF5 variation not supported by the driver.
Filing a ticket in the GDAL trac would be helpful in this situation, but
please at least test with the latest FWTools first.

Best regards,--

Frank,

I followed your advice to check if the driver is in place and you are right. The FWTools I am running do not include HDF5. However, I do not run the FWTools on a Windows machine but on Linux Suse 9. So I was wondering why the Linux version 2.0.6 of the FWTools (according to http://fwtools.maptools.org/ the current release) does not support HDF5?

When i was installing the FWTools there is only the install.sh which I used and the README.1ST. In the README.1ST HDF support is mentioned, but something went wrong.

Frank, maybe you can help me out once again!

I am also willing to run the FWTools on a Windows machine, but do I have the HDF driver at Windows or do I have to compile the driver on Windows with the VisualStudio archives from the HDF Group?

Thanks,
Thomas