[gdal-dev] Using ogr / gdal libraries in java programs

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 22 12:54:51 EDT 2008

Rushforth, Peter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm interested in using ogr and gdal libraries in java applications.  Would
> you please point me to relevant wiki / documentation / external web sites
> which might help in figuring out how to do that? Is there javadoc on the
> library? How does that work, anyway?
>
> Or, if anyone has a code example of this, that would be probably even
> better, as I could code by modification.

Peter,

The primary information on using GDAL from Java is accessable from:

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/wiki/GdalOgrInJava

Note that this is a wiki and you are encouraged to extend it.

There are no javadoc docs for the GDAL Java bindings.  You are generally
expected to work out the java details by examination of the .java files and
relate them back to the C++ docs as reference.

Building the Java bindings has proven a bit challenging (for me at least) in
the past, but it is doable.  I would note that the Java bindings are currently
without an active primary maintainer so they don't get as much love as they
ought to.

OSGeo4W includes a gdal-java package if you are working on windows.  On
Linux or MacOS X I think you will need to build them yourself from source.