[gdal-dev] Desktop App Map Server?

Brian Hone brianhone at gmail.com
Fri Oct 24 15:12:49 EDT 2008

Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is a newbie question, but I've looked all over and can't
find any good information.

I have a desktop app (wxGTK / C++ / OpenGL) on which I want to display
all manner of geo-images, in all manner of projections, etc.  I have
coded the ability to display simple NITF, etc. using GDAL, but I am
constantly finding image formats or projection systems which I haven't
supported.  I really want to have a data store with an API which looks
 something like:

getMapLayers( area, layers, resolution )

o It looks like OGDI is built to solve this problem, but I can't find
a 'howto'.
o PostGIS + GDAL?
o MapServer et al.? -  look good, but are more web focused.

Can anyone give me a good starting point?

Thanks much for your help,

Brian