[gdal-dev] SetEquarectangular() changes

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 17:27:02 EDT 2008

Didier,

I've backed out r15642 (in r15643) for the time being because I suspect it
included some unrelated changes that were inadvertant.

   http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/changeset/15642

For instance some of the changes to geo_normalize.c and geo_ctrans.inc which
really need to start out upstream in libgeotiff.  Also, the UOMLengthInMeters
changes in gt_wkt_srs.cpp seem unrelated to the stated reason for the commit.
Likewise many changes in nitfdataset.cpp.

There also seems to be substantial alterations to ogr_srs_api.h  that I don't
really understand.

The core reason for the change seemed to be to replace use of
SetEquirectangular() with calls to SetEquirectangular2() with the first
argument being zero.  I'm not sure this is a great idea.  Can we not leave
SetEquirectangular and just have it call SetEquirectangular2() with the first
argument as 0.0?  This would minimize changes, and leave the API so that
private plugins won't be broken.  Generally speaking, I'm not keen on changing
existing parts of the C++ API when easily avoidable as it seems to be in
this case.

I'd appreciate it if you could review the changes you want to make and apply
them more narrowly.  I find commits from root can be pretty dangerous!