[gdal-dev] in memory KML

Clay, Bruce bclay at ball.com
Wed Apr 1 15:22:51 EDT 2009

LibKml can do the in memory file and a lot of other things but the documentation / examples are rather thin.  There is documentation that tells you what the parameters of a call are supposed to be but not to tell you when to use a given method.  They have several test apps but for the most part they only test a single class at a time.

For example, I am trying to set the attributes in a kml message.  The leverage expat to do a lot of the xml stuff and the attributes seem to relate directly to the expat attributes and not to the way they are used when OGR creates a KML file.

There are very few examples shown when I Google on the web for examples.

All in all it looks quite capable but it takes a bit of digging to find out how to do things.

Then there is the licenses issue.  I can use it in my app without problems but using it in an open source GDAL plug-in may be an issue.

Bruce