[gdal-dev] problem building static gdal with static kakadu

stephen tan sts5678 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 3 01:44:52 EDT 2009

I am having problems compiling a static build of gdal-1.5.1 with a static library of kakadu-6.1.1.  The static kakadu library, libkdu.a, resides in /usr/local/kakadu-6.1.1/lib.

I configure gdal with the following options:
--disable-shared
--with-kakadu=/usr/local/kakadu-6.1.1

I receive several undefined reference errors when trying to build the gdal binaries (ie. gdalinfo, gdal_translate, etc).  The errors are against the kdu objects.

I then tried the following options in place of "--disable-shared":
--without-ld-shared --without-libtool

This successfully compiled and produced binaries that seemed to be linked to the static gdal library (ldd gdalinfo did not pop up any libgdal.so).

What is the difference in the configure options?  Any suggestions on getting disable-shared working?

Thanks