[gdal-dev] ECW codec compression question

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Apr 8 12:23:07 EDT 2009

chalda wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have question about setting of compression of the ECW codec. I have
> read the article on the page http://www.gdal.org/frmt_ecw.html and there
> is said that option TARGET=percent sets size reduction as a percentage
> of the original image.
>
> I'm using the ECW codec through gdal_translate by this comma
> gdal_translate -of JP2ECW -co "TARGET=10" input_image.tif out_image.jp2
>
> But when I'm changing the number option of the TARGET then no change of
> quality or the size of the image occurs. Or better the changes begins
> around the number 50 but before all options 0-50 returs the same
> "quality results".
>
> By the mentioned page that shouldn't be correct. Could somebody explain
> me please what how the quality option works here?

Ondrej,

The TARGET parameter sets a target reduction for the algorithm, but in
some cases low information images will be compressed more than requested.
If your image has a relatively low information density it may be that the
least compression the library is capable of providing is 50%.

The thing to keep in mind is that TARGET is a hint to the library - not
an exact definition of how much compression will be achieved.