[gdal-dev] Problem in importing to Google Earth a nitf image converted from a tif image by gdal_translate

mohwawang mohwawang at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 23:51:21 EDT 2009

Google Earth 5.0 supports NITF see
http://earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v5/ug_importdata.html

[Importing Imagery

You can open GIS imagery files in Google Earth Pro or EC and have the files correctly projected over the proper map coordinates in the 3D viewer. Google Earth Pro and EC support the following types of GIS imagery:

    * TIFF (.tif), including GeoTiff and compressed TIFF files
    * National Imagery Transmission Format (.ntf)
    * Erdas Imagine Images (.img)

In addition, you can also import the following images. Because they do not contain projection information, you must manually edit their coordinates for correct positioning:

    * Atlantis MFF Raster (.hdr)
    * PCIDSK Database File (.pix)
    * Portable Pixmap Format (.pnm)
    * Device Independent Bitmap (.bmp)

Note - All imagery files must contain the correct projection information in order to be accurately re-projected by the Google Earth software.]

Mo