[gdal-dev] charts on a sphere

Malm Paul paul.malm at saabgroup.com
Tue Apr 14 02:22:21 EDT 2009

 Hi list,
I´m going to draw vector charts on a sphere with openGL, each chart shall be cut into smaller "submaps". I first thought I could do it in x,y,z coords in WGS84 but the I have to render the vector data all the time when changing view. Now I´m more into that the vector data shall be projected to a cartesian coordinate system. Each submap is the rendered to a p-buffer (raster) for current zoom. Then I will drape the submap rasters on a spher for viewing in different angles.

What is the best projection to store the "submaps" in? Each submap shall connect to the adjacent submap and the submaps can go around the globe. Is it a stereographic projection with a uniqe center point for each submap that I shall use? Or is there something else that is better for me?

Kind regards,
Paul