[gdal-dev] Definite problem with XERCES 3.0.x and GDAL

Ethan Alpert ealpert at digitalglobe.com
Fri Aug 14 14:24:17 EDT 2009

I'm running 1.6.1 stable that I downloaded on 7/14 and xerces 3.0.1 on a
RHEL5.2 64 bit system.

When I convert a shapefile to GML and then try to convert back to
shapefile I was getting:

ERROR 1: <coordinates> element missing value

And an invalid shapefile with no polygons. I'd get this error at various
other points too.

I spent some time in gdb and found that a XERCES method parseNext inside
of the GMLReader::NextFeature() was returning an empty coordinates block
even though my GML had coordinates.

I backed out of xerces 3.0 to xerces 2.8 and recompiled GDAL and reran
my test and now everything is working.

I'm not sure what the next steps are here but xerces 3.0 and 3.0.1 did
not work with OGR.

-e

This electronic communication and any attachments may contain confidential and proprietary
information of DigitalGlobe, Inc. If you are not the intended recipient, or an agent or employee
responsible for delivering this communication to the intended recipient, or if you have received
this communication in error, please do not print, copy, retransmit, disseminate or
otherwise use the information. Please indicate to the sender that you have received this
communication in error, and delete the copy you received. DigitalGlobe reserves the
right to monitor any electronic communication sent or received by its employees, agents
or representatives.