[gdal-dev] Re: Strange things with gdalwarp ...

Greg Coats gregcoats at mac.com
Sat Aug 22 12:29:47 EDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 4:51 AM, Hermann Peifer wrote:

> Just to repeat my earlier observations: over the last days, I tried
> with all kinds of -wm and GDAL_CACHEMAX settings, and also added
> the options TILED=YES and SKIP_NOSOURCE=YES. I haven't documented
> the performance changes systematically, but my overall impression
> was that the changes were rather small. I also tried -multi on my
> dual processor machine, but I ended up with a fatal error.

In January 2009, working with GDAL version 1.6.0, I did some testing
and documenting of the effect of GDAL_CACHEMAX. Using as input an
uncompressed GeoTif 15,000 x 15,000 x 3 = 675 MB, organized into 1024
x 1024 tiles, I found that using gdal_translate to convert this
GeoTif to a GeoJP2 with the default --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 40 took
10473 sec (= 175 minutes), but increasing GDAL_CACHEMAX by only 12.5%
to --config GDAL_CACHEMAX 45 the processing took only 166 sec (= 2.7
minutes), which is 63 times faster! Further tests showed that
increasing --config GDAL_CACHEMAX to values greater than 45 (up to
1800) did not effect processing time. Greg

GDAL 1.6.0, released 2008/12/04
Input GeoTif 15,000 x 15,000 x 3 = 675 MB
gdal_translate -of JP2KAK -co QUALITY=10 --config GDAL_CACHEMAX
0040  10473.14 sec
0041  10326.75 sec
0042  10492.85 sec
0043   7081.57 sec