[gdal-dev] UTF-8 String Support in GDALOpen() and OGRSFDriverRegistrar::Open()

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 12:35:14 EDT 2009

Louis,

I couldn't reproduce the problem on my WinXP-32 system with vc8 with locale
set to uk english. However, I used the filename on a GeoTiff file. I
couldn't identify the .TAB extension. I am not sure that is a problem.

Some of the drivers may not handle non-ascii data but file names should not
be a problem.

If you don't find any problem at your application side, submit a bug report
at http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Lodewijk Pool <louis.pool at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Chaitanya,
>
> Yes, this is using the C/C++ API, the functions I am using are declared in
> *gdal.h* and *ogrsf_frmts.h* respectively. I am using WinXP 32bit (UK
> English locale) and a version of GDAL 1.6.2 that I compiled for Win32 using
> the supplied nmake script files for VC8. The specific filename that is
> causing me problems is this one; *"découpage_geographique.TAB"*. If I
> remove the 'é' character in that string and replace it with a normal 'e' the
> file opens without any problems.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Best Regards,
> Louis.
>

> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Chaitanya kumar CH <chaitanya.ch@
> gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Louis,
>>
>> GDAL/OGR usually supports utf-8 encoding. I just don't know where it
>> doesn't support.
>> Can you provide the details of the OS you are working on? Also, some
>> sample file names that caused you problems will come handy.
>> I presume you are working in C/C++.
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 6:37 PM, Lodewijk Pool <louis.pool at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I'm having problems opening Raster and Vector Datasources that have
>>> filenames and paths with special characters. I'm using GDALOpen for Raster
>>> sources and OGRSFDriverRegistrar::Open() for Vector sources, the strings I
>>> pass for the filenames are UTF-8 encoded. Does anyone know whether these
>>> functions support UTF-8 encoding, and if not, whether there are any other
>>> API entry points that do support UTF-8 and/or UTF-16?
>>>
>>> Thank you in advance,
>>> Louis.

>> Best regards,
>> --