[gdal-dev] /usr/lib/libexpat.so found when /usr/lib64/libexpat.so needed

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Fri Dec 4 12:16:36 EST 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Frank Warmerdam wrote:

> Roger Bivand wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In trying to build GDAL 1.6.3 and 1.7.0 on an RHEL 5 64-bit box, I'm seeing
>> that libtool in linking is inserting -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libexpat.so and
>> provoking:
>>
>> /usr/lib/libexpat.so: could not read symbols: File in wrong format
>> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>> make[1]: *** [libgdal.la] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rsb/topics/gdal/gdal'
>> make: *** [check-lib] Error 2
>>
>> in the step after:
>>
>> libtool: link: creating GNU ld script: .libs/libgdal.la.lnkscript
>>
>> On the same box with the same:
>>
>> ./configure --with-netcdf=/usr/include/netcdf-3
>>
>> 1.6.2 now also fails, although it built when released.
>>
>> I expect that the 32-bit /usr/lib/libexpat.so got installed to meet another
>> binary install dependency (GEOS ? netcdf ? among others ??), and I cannot
>> remove it without the other binaries going away. I've tried incantations
>> with --with-expat= without effect. Has anyone seen similar behaviour and
>> does anyone have a fix?
>>
>> This hurts because this is my main development box, but I have to use a
>> distant 32-bit RHEL 5 box with very similar binary installs instead for
>> work now on the coming SAGA driver.
>
> Roger,
>
> Does the /usr/lib/libexpat.so exist in the GDALmake.opt file?

No, the fragment reads: "-L/usr/local/lib -lgeos_c -I/usr/include
-lsqlite3 -L/usr/lib -lexpat".

The --with-netcdf= leads to some library nonsense, but at least the
headers are found.

> If not then libtool is likely picking it up as a dependency from
> something else's .la file.  It might be worth configuring GDAL with the
> --without-libtool switch and then, as needed, manually editing the
> GDALmake.opt file's link paths and options to get things working.

./configure --without-libtool --with-netcdf=/usr/include/netcdf-3

gets through the build without intervention, with:

$ gdalinfo --version
GDAL 1.7.0dev, released 2008/11/26

for an updated svn trunk version. So I can get back to SAGA ...

Thanks!

Roger

--
Roger Bivand