[gdal-dev] ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated

STÉPHANE CYR stephane.cyr at msp.gouv.qc.ca
Mon Dec 14 14:07:59 EST 2009

I have a problem transfering a table from oracle to postgresql (post-gis).
The Oracle table contain a field of type varchar2(250 byte) and when i try to load the table i get the error "ORA-01406: fetched column value was truncated. " I tryed with field of type varchar2(250 char) and  i got the same erreor.

In many records of the table, this field is filled with 250 character, including line breaks and special characters. To solve the problem, i created a new table on oracle with the varchar2(250 byte) field changed for a varchar2(500) and the data loaded correctly. Then, I altered the table on postgresql and changed the field type from varchar(500)  to varchar(250) and it works.  My conclusion is that there is no problem with the data but the loading is not working well. Is there something i can do or set to avoid this problem.

Regards.