[gdal-dev] the format of satellite photo file

Chaitanya kumar CH chaitanya.ch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 04:08:04 EST 2009

Wei,

2009/12/28 weixj2003ld <weixj2003ld at 163.com>:
> Hi,
> 1.I get a satellite photo file,and its extention is .tif,and how get the
> (x,y,z) and the value of each poiont?
tif is the extension for TIFF file format. You may be able to view the
file in a normal image viewer. But you should be able to to view the
coordinates and stuff in a geographic raster viewer like openev.
Google for more viewers.

> 2.Could you tell me the article which introduces the format of satellite
> photo file in detail?
There is no specific format for satellite imagery. Your image is
probably a processed form of a satellite image.

> 3.Is tif the only format of satellite photo file?
No. Refer to http://gdal.org/formats_list.html the list of raster
formats supported by GDAL.

> Best regards.
> Wei