[gdal-dev] Re: [Fwd: Re: Warping an already georeferenced image with control points

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Fri Feb 13 14:02:43 EST 2009

Yes, once you have specified GCPs with the -gcp option, you remove the
original georeferencing made of the origin coordinates and pixel size.

Several notes :
- There is an exclusive test in gdal_translate.cpp that prevents you from
setting both both GCPs and (origin coordinates, pixel size) at the same time.
That can be easily disabled, by removing the '&& nGCPCount == 0 )' test at
line 692 of gdal_translate.cpp. (*)
- ... but the GeoTIFF driver doesn't support setting both GCPs and (origin
coordinates, pixel size) at the same time. It wouldn't read both either.
Hacking the GTiff driver might be possible to make it support both. But my
understanding of the GeoTIFF specification
(http://www.remotesensing.org/geotiff/spec/geotiff2.6.html#2.6.1) is that it
is not a foreseen case. Although I don't see it is explicitely forbidden, I
would anticipate that it wouldn't be handled well by other software.
- The VRT driver happens to support writing and reading both both GCPs and
(origin coordinates, pixel size) at the same time. But I doubt this is the
result of a design decision. It more looks like this works because that's
what required the minimum amount of coding !
- Although I'm not 100% positive, I am not aware of any other GDAL driver that
would support both at the same time.
- I don't think that you actually loose information by transforming the
(origin coordinates, pixel size) into 4 GCPs. With the raster dimension and
the coordinates, it's easy to retrieve the pixel size.

Even

(*) To tell the truth, by looking at the code, I've seen a workaround that
doesn't imply changing the code. Just use the -a_ullr option...