[gdal-dev] GDAL ReadRaster thread-safe?

Eric Domazlicky edomazlicky at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 18:48:05 EST 2009

I am developing a tiling application and I was hoping to up the speed a bit
by doing some multithreading. What I want to do is start each of 3
ReadRaster calls in seperate threads (using BeginInvoke delegates), then
wait for them to complete and build my RGB image (using EndInvoke). I am
using the C# wrapper to the GDAL library. This multithreaded approach is
showing clear signs of race conditions, with some of the channels not
appearing, random crashes etc. If I ensure each thread completes before I go
on to read the next Raster Band it works fine.

Is there anyway to make ReadRaster thread-safe? Maybe by disabling caching
which I suspect is the problem.