[gdal-dev] Unknown file type

Greg Ederer greg at ergonosis.com
Thu Jan 8 14:14:08 EST 2009

Hi,

I am a GDAL newbie.  I just got handed a group of files with the
following description:

description of the data

    1)  content:
        rain  ==   10 day precipitation analysis by merging
                   GTS gauge observations and  3 kinds of satellite
estimates
                   (GPI,SSM/I, and AMSU)

    2)  coverage:
        -40.00S -- 40.00N Northward;
         20.00W -- 55.00E Eastward
        751 grid points in east - west direction
        801 grid points in south - north direction

    3)  resolution:
        0.1 deg lat x 0.1 deg lon
        dekad

    4)  missing values
        -999.0

I'd like to read and manipulate these files using GDAL.  When I run
gdalinfo, I get something like the following:

Macintosh-4:RFE_dekedal gregederer$ gdalinfo 10day_precip.bin.1999121
ERROR 4: `10day_precip.bin.1999121' not recognised as a supported file
format.

gdalinfo failed - unable to open '10day_precip.bin.1999121'.

I suspect that GDAL requires some additional metadata in order to read
these files.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Greg