[gdal-dev] BigTIFF overview with gdaladdo?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 11:09:14 EST 2009

Jukka Rahkonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a switch for telling gdaladdo to create external overview in BigTIFF
> format?  Would BigTIFF overviews even work?  I tried to create external
> overviews for such a big BigTIFF image that even jpeg compressed .ovr file
> exceeded the 4 GB limit and creation failed therefore.

Jukka,

Currently there is no way to force the overviews to be created as bigtiff.
They should be created as bigtiff by default if the normal rules imply the
need (for instance if the overviews are uncompressed and the base level would
be over 4GB).

I suspect we ought to handle this via an additional configuration option.
Possibly one which would be used as a default value for the BIGTIFF
creation option to the GTiff driver.  So you could set it to YES or
IF_SAFER to be fairly confident of bigtiff creation when needed.

If this is important to you please file a ticket and I'll add it.