[gdal-dev] Non documented (nice, uf) behaviour

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jan 27 11:51:44 EST 2009

Joaquim Luis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Still on the ps2raster issue that I mentioned 2 days ago, I was getting
> a mysterious crashing
> in Windows when executing a system call with a gdal_translate command.
> The is not related to
> GDAL at all but maybe to the quotes needed to wrap the +proj=... arguments.
> I finally managed to solve the issue by writing the proj string into a
> file and use that
> file as argument to -a_srs
>
> But the man page states that " ... or a file WKT"
>
> -a_srs srs_def:
> Override the projection for the output file. The srs_def may be any of
> the usual GDAL/OGR forms, complete WKT, PROJ.4, EPSG:n or a file
> containing the WKT.
>

> I'm not complaining (well on the contrary), but we may need to document
> this.
> Since what version is it possible to provide a Proj4 string in a file
> for -a_srs?

Joaquim,

Underlying the -a_srs function is the OGRSpatialReference::SetFromUserInput()
method which does mention that proj.4 strings are accepted from a file.  The
problem is that it is not really practical to describe all coordinate
system specification methods everywhere they are used.

I have added a brief note in the introductory material on the utilities pages
indicating files with several formats are supported.