[gdal-dev] Geocentric system in OGR

Ung kopilists at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 27 13:19:06 EST 2009

Hi All,

I am a new user to GDAL/OGR, and am looking for conversion methods between
geographic systems, projection systems, and the geocentric 3D cartesian
system. The OGRSpatialReference class seems to only create geographic, but
not geocentric systems. A few searches on the web revealed that the
geocentric system was not implement on OGR (
http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2006-April/008630.html). But that
was an old thread.

So, is the geocentric system supported now on GDAL1.6.0? And if so, how may
I create a geocentric reference? And if not, are there any extensions to
GDAL/OGR or PROJ that may have implemented it?

I have also looked into PROJ, there are a couple of functions to do
geocentric-geodetic conversions. Are there functions to convert from a
projective reference to either geodetic or geocentric systems? Is there an
API reference to PROJ?

Would prefer to use OGR than PROJ as it is object oriented. Any pointers
would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

-ung