[gdal-dev] MapServer interface

Smart, Gary Gary.Smart at goodrich.com
Wed Jul 15 15:24:32 EDT 2009

Still a newbee to this so forgive any daft questions.

In an answer to a previous question of mine, it was hinted (thank you
Even)  that I could possibly MapServer to return tiles of rasterised
maps for display using my display application.  From my initial studies,
MapServer seems to be aimed at HTML based applications.  However, I want
it to return tiles of imagery which I can render using my C++
application.

Am I right in thinking that this must be done via XML, scripts and files
(e.g. I request a tile from the server (not sure how) and it returns a
rasterised map file which I could open via GDAL).

Really, I was hoping for a more direct API whereby I can generate a
server request directly from my C++ code and get the raster tile back
similar to the GDALDataSet::RasterIO call?

Any clues?

Gary